Friday, February 29, 2008

Camera Hell

No picture details tonight, even though Friday Night Flash did meet. Instead, I'd like to offer some advice.

The next time you buy an expensive dSLR camera, spend a bit more and buy an extended warranty for it. My D2x spit the bit tonight, but I have an extended warranty for it so I'm not really sweating it too much - aside from the aggravation.

Listen, if you're shooting a high end dSLR as I am, you've probably spent the equivalent of what is in Fort Knox. I know I did. (Of course, understanding our government, there's probably nothing left in Ft. Knox. But I digress.)

Yes, I've heard
the arguments against purchasing the optional warranties. Most of the time I believe they are a waste of money, but there are times when they're worth it.

When you pay more for a camera than you do for a car, I'd say that counts as one of those times.


Right now, my extended warranty is worth every penny I paid for it.

-30-

2 comments:

Tim Schmitt said...

"Extended Warranty Hell"

Well it’s final... Nikon is restricted from selling extended contracts in the state of Florida!

Kinda...

It seems that if you purchase a special Nikon camera bag for a D300 for about $150+ you get a FREE 2 year extended warranty.


I purchased my D200 about 5 Months ago so I'm out of luck. 3rd Party contracts are available for twice the price, but the local pro shop can't recommend any due to trust issues.

Well I guess it’s no extension for me..

Tim Schmitt

Mark said...

I'm going to find out how good the extended warranty I bought is. I'll let you know.